Thursday, November 27, 2008

Installing the Adapter Plate and Clutch

I've been a little slack updating this blog as I progress on the car. I'll try to keep up so as not to get too far behind. Next step was attaching the adapter plate to the transmission. Electro auto sent detailed instructions to do this and it was very straight forward. Below is the first piece, a spacer ring bolted onto the motor.


Next the bell housing plate bolts to the spacer ring.



Here is the clutch flyweel. You can't see it but there is a coupler bolted onto the motor shaft and split tapered collar with a keyway. The coupler has six threaded holes for the flywheel bolts. These are the same bolts that came with the original clutch but I bought a new flywheel from the local autoparts store. My original was trashed. Noticed the teeth ring for the starter is missing from the flywheel. It was pressed on so I just used a hammer and nail punch. Popped right off. It is this stage where the spacing between the bell housing plate you see here and the front face of the flywheel is critical, called the magic number. You have to leave the bolts on the coupler lose, slide the flywheel assembly until the critical distance is achieved....0.774 +/- 0.010 inches for 1994 Honda Civic. If you were converting a different car you would need to measure that distance before removing the flywheel from the engine.


Well the first time I moved the flywheel to the correct distance, unbolted the flywheel, tightened the coupler bolts, reattached the flyweel the distance was off. Must have moved at some point. Once the coupler with the split ring is tightened it's difficult to remove. Flywheel puller would be ideal, I didn't have one and after much prying with screwdrivers and cursing I used two flat bar nail pullers and off it came.....smashing my thumb. I'm sure most people who are 'back yard' mechanics know the picture below. That blue spot on your nail when you hit it on something. Takes months to grow out. Here's mine. You can see it at the base of my thumb nail. Awesome!


After I torqued and loctite (red) the six flywheel bolts I attached the pressure plate and wear plate to the transmission. You can see the alignment tool sticking out. Be sure to save all your original clutch bolts because the local auto parts store does not carry them. They are metric, fine thread with twelve point heads. Can only find at your Honda dealer. Luckily I still had mine.

Next up mating the motor/clutch assembly to the transmission.

No comments: