Thursday, November 6, 2008

Adapter Plate

After 8 weeks I finally received the adapter plate from electro automotive http://www.electroauto.com/ . It's specifically for a Gen 5 Honda civic S20 Transmission. It looks pretty good. Most of the holes seem to line up with the bell housing but I'll find out for sure when I try to mount it.

As you can see from the picture below the idea is to mate up the electric motor to the original transmission.


When I bought the car the transmission had been removed and I lost the mounting bolts. I recommend trying your best to keep these bolts. With the adapter plate some become through bolts that require washers and nuts but others thread into the transmission. The problem is these are automotive grade (10.9 hardened) metric fine thread bolts with varying lengths. Not something you will find at home depot or general hardware stores. I made a drawing and measured depths of the holes as best as I could then went to a fastener company called Fastenal. They only had metric hardened bolts with regular thread, which was good enough for the through bolts. The others I ordered online from Tacoma Screw.



Hopefully these will work and I can start to attach the motor and transmission. I also borrowed a hydraulic engine hoist from a coworker. Next up mating the motor and transmission.

2 comments:

mick said...

great blog. you seem to be reluctant to mention cost. is that intentional?

peterros said...

Hi Mick. It's not intentional. I hadn't really thought about listing costs for everything. Someone else asked about the cost of the motor and I replied in my motor blog. I guess I could give a list of parts and costs later on. I'm just excited when I get a task completed.