Friday, January 2, 2009

Firewall Battery Rack

This was the most difficult rack to fabricate. It has many pieces to cut and a lot of holes to drill. I'll try to give brief assembly description. Detailed instructions are from Tim's blog here: http://civic-ev.blogspot.com/2008/10/redesigning-firewall-rack.html

  1. First I cut 4 vertical supports that hang off the shock towers. Each support is 9 1/2" long and bolts to an existing hole.
  2. I cut two 1 inch diameter galvanized pipe approximately 2 3/4". These are used under the to end angle iron pieces towards the rear. These also bolt into holes in the frame.
  3. Cutting all the angle iron was 'fun' to say the least. Lots of sparks, metal bits put a nice coating on my mitre saw. I cut the two outer pieces first, held them with c-clamps and then measured the cross-pieces to fit.
  4. The two pieces in the middle will help support the plastic board for mounting electronics.
  5. Once everything was cut and aligned, making sure to provide a gap above the transmission, I marked all the holes and drilled and rebolted the entire assembly again.

No comments: